Best Cheap Car Insurance in Connecticut for 2018
Patience pays off if you’re looking for cheap car insurance in Connecticut. Costs vary depending on the company you choose and on personal factors such as your age and driving record, so it’s smart to shop around.
To help pinpoint the best deal for you, NerdWallet gathered rates from the eight largest car insurance companies in Connecticut and found the three cheapest options for these driver types :
also in this article:
Cheapest for good drivers
For drivers with no at-fault accidents, DUIs or moving violations.
The average rate for good drivers among the three cheapest companies was about $1,257 per year. Geico led all insurers with a price of $1,144 a year, followed by Travelers Insurance and Amica.
If you have a clean record, check out discounts that companies offer to reward your safe driving, such as those for avoiding accidents and moving violations. Perks like these could influence which insurer is cheapest for you.
Cheapest for young drivers
For drivers in their early 20s.
Young drivers usually don’t have significant assets or much savings to lose in a crash-related lawsuit. As a result, they often can select lower liability insurance limits than older motorists and score relatively cheap car insurance in Connecticut.
We collected quotes for drivers in their early 20s carrying the minimum state-required coverage. Geico fetched the best deal at $899 a year. This was $245 less than the cheapest rate we found for 30-year-old good drivers, who had higher coverage limits.
Cheapest for drivers with one at-fault crash
If you cause a car accident, you usually can expect a rate hike when you renew your policy, making it a good time to shop around. The cheapest quote we found for this group was $1,392 from Travelers. Prices jumped from there, with Amica and State Farm each coming in around $300 higher.
The penalty for causing an accident was steeper with some insurers. For instance, the most expensive price we found was over $5,100 per year, a reminder of why shopping quotes is crucial even if you have a crash on your record.
Cheapest for drivers with poor credit
For drivers placed in the “Poor Credit” tier.
Insurers may factor in your credit-based insurance score when setting your rates. Those who have poor credit usually will face higher car insurance prices than most other groups. In fact, based on our findings, having credit problems in Connecticut can be more damaging to rates than causing a crash, depending on your insurer.
Travelers returned the lowest quote in our analysis at $2,427 per year. That’s $1,283 more than the cheapest estimate available to safe drivers with good credit and $1,035 more than the best deal we found for drivers with one at-fault crash.
Cheapest for retired drivers
For drivers in their mid- to late 60s who no longer use their car for commuting.
Retirees, given their reduced annual mileage, have good odds of finding cheap car insurance in Connecticut. We gathered quotes for drivers in their 60s who travel half as much as other groups.
The cheapest rate was $829 per year from Geico, which was $315 lower than the best deal for drivers half that age who commute. Under state law, motorists 60 or older are entitled to a discount and extra car insurance savings for completing a Department of Motor Vehicles-approved accident prevention course.
Minimum requirements for Connecticut car insurance
Connecticut residents must carry liability insurance, uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance and underinsured motorist bodily injury insurance in at least the following amounts:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
- $25,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per person
- $50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per accident
Keep in mind that causing just one crash could result in property damage or injury costs that surpass the liability limits above, so it’s usually smart to buy more than the bare minimum.
Check out NerdWallet’s guide to car insurance requirements by state for more details on the required and optional coverages in your Connecticut auto policy.
Alternative car insurance in Connecticut
If you’re denied car insurance on the voluntary market because of a spotty record or other factors, you can seek coverage through the Connecticut Automobile Insurance Plan.
Try NerdWallet’s car insurance comparison tool to view rates from leading Connecticut insurers.
Here’s a summary of where you’ll find the cheapest insurance, by category:
Connecticut Car Insurance
Car insurance rates in traffic-clogged Hartford are nearly twice as expensive as those found in more rural areas of Connecticut. No matter where you live, you’ll find some insurance companies charge way more than others. You can get an idea of how state car insurance rates compare in nearly every Connecticut ZIP code below.
The average car insurance rate in Connecticut is $1,771 a year. The severity and frequency of claims in your neighborhood, your driving record, the type of car you drive and other variables are used by insurance companies to figure out the cost of your policy. That’s why the price for the same coverage can vary significantly among insurance companies — and why you should compare rates. For example, in Hartford ZIP code 06103 the highest rate among six carriers ($3,534) is over $2,294 more than the lowest ($1,249). When shopping for car insurance, use our average car insurance rates tool to compare rates. Enter a ZIP code to see the average premium for your neighborhood. You will also see the highest and lowest rates from the six major carriers surveyed to get an idea of what the most affordable car insurance price is in your area. For a customized rate, choose among six age groups and three coverage levels.
Cheap car insurance in Connecticut
Connecticut car insurance requirements
Your state’s minimum car insurance requirements will be the cheapest coverage you can get. Connecticut requires car owners to buy liability insurance of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury liability and $25,000 for property damage liability. These minimum requirements were just hiked on Jan. 1, 2018, so if your policy had the prior, lower limits, you should be aware of how your coverage and rates are affected when states hike mandated liability requirements.
If you have personal assets to protect, home and savings, higher limits might be worth the extra premium you pay.
You will pay more for more protection, but as you’ll see in the chart below, additional liability coverage is typically affordable. To increase your limits to 50/100/50, you’ll pay an average of $107 more yearly, or just $9 a month. Increasing your insurance from the state minimum to full coverage with a $500 deductible costs, on average, $1,010 more, or $505 a month.
Average annual rate
Liability Only – state minimum
Liability Only – 50/100/50 BI/PD
Full Coverage – 100/300/100 BI/PD
$500 Comp/Collision deductible
*The table shows the average annual rate of nearly every ZIP code in Connecticut from up to six major insurance companies. Rates are for a male driver, age 40, with a clean record and good credit for a 2016 Honda Accord. Data was provided for CarInsurance.com by Quadrant Information Services.
Recommended car insurance
Even a minor fender-bender can cost much more than what your minimal insurance will pay out. For instance, say you have Connecticut minimum bodily injury of $20,000 and $10,000 in property damage. You then cause an accident that totals the other driver’s car, valued at $20,000. It also results in $45,000 of medical expenses for the other driver’s injuries. You’re responsible for damages not covered by insurance. That means you have to pay $25,000 for medical bills and $10,000 for the damaged car – a total of $35,000.
Use our How Much Car Insurance Do You Need? tool to get a recommendation.
We recommend you buy more insurance than is required to legally drive a car in your state, especially if you have savings and assets. The more money you have, the more likely you are to be sued following a car accident should your insurance be insufficient to cover all the expenses. If your net worth is:
- less than $50,000, choose at least 50/100/50
- between $50,000 and $100,000, choose at least 100/300/100
- more than $100,000, choose at least 250/500/100
If you’re leasing or financing your car, you must get coverage of 100/300/100 or higher.
Collision and comprehensive
Collision coverage pays for damage to your car after an accident that you cause. Comprehensive insurance pays to replace stolen cars and broken glass and for damages from vandalism, flooding, hail, fire and animal strikes. These optional coverages are usually not budget-busters. Connecituct drivers pay, on average, $359 a year for collision and $131 annually for comprehensive, according to the Insurance Information Institute. If your car is:
- less than 10 years old, you should strongly consider buying collision and comprehensive.
- more than 10 years old, only buy collision and comprehensive if your car is worth $3,000 or more, if you couldn’t afford to replace your car if it’s wrecked, or if you just want more protection on your policy.
If you buy comp and collision, check our guide to choosing a deductible amount.
These coverages are required in Connecticut and should match the liability limits you choose. Uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage pays for damages if you’re hit by a driver with no insurance or a driver with coverage that’s insufficient to pay for your repairs and medical expenses.
Medical coverage (MedPay)
Medical payments coverage can help pay for the medical or funeral expenses of covered drivers and passengers after an accident, regardless of fault, starting at $5,000 and up to $25,000. In most states, including Connecticut, it’s an optional addition to your car insurance policy. MedPay does the following:
- Covers you and your passengers’ medical expenses
- Pays for expenses after health insurance limits are exceeded
- Offers additional protection to insured drivers who are hit by a car while walking or biking
If you and your passengers:
- Don’t have health insurance, or have a plan that doesn’t cover car accidents or has low limits, we recommend that you add medical coverage of at least $5,000 to your car insurance policy.
If you don’t own your car outright and have an accident, gap insurance pays the difference between the cash value of your car and the current outstanding balance on your loan or lease.
- If you’re financing your car, your car is less than one year old and you’ve put less than 20 percent down on it, you should buy gap insurance. If not, you don’t need gap insurance.
- If you’re leasing your car, it’s a good idea to buy gap insurance if you aren’t already required to in your lease agreement.
- If you own your car outright, you don’t need gap insurance.
Connecticut car insurance rates by company
Below you’ll see average annual rates for Connecticut, ranked cheapest to most expensive, for three coverage levels:
- State minimum liability requirements
- Liability limits of $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident and $50,000 property damage
- Liability of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident and $100,000 property damage, with comprehensive and collision at $500 deductible
Connecticut Auto Insurance
Feel secure knowing you have an insurance provider you can rely on.
Search all Connecticut Agents …
Home of early American history – Connecticut is a national gem. But, regardless of where you’re heading to in the Constitution State, know that you can count on Nationwide to help protect you and your car along the way.
Before you get a quote, make sure to visit our Conncecticut Auto Coverage page to learn your state’s minimum coverage requirements.
Take advantage of Nationwide’s features
Nationwide makes it easy for you to find dependable auto insurance in Connecticut. We can show you options so you can choose the coverage that’s right for your needs, goals and budget. Explore the features below to learn more about what we can offer you:
On Your Side ® Claims Service
Choose a shop in our network to get a written guarantee on repairs for as long as you own your vehicle. 1 …
Discounts Helping You Save
We offer many ways to help lower your auto insurance rates. See the many ways you can save with qualifying discounts. …
95% of Members Would Recommend Nationwide
Learn why so many of our members would recommend us to friends and family. 2 …
Vanishing Deductible ®
We want to reward safe drivers. Add Vanishing Deductible ® and you can earn $100 off your deductible for every year of safe driving. 3 …
On Your Side ® Review
Enjoy a free consultation with an agent who’s here to help you get the protection you need at the price that’s right for you. …
Resources at Your Fingertips
Make payments, print ID cards, report claims and more, quickly and easily online. We even have a mobile app for on-the-go account access. …
Find local agents in your neighborhood
We have Nationwide agents throughout Connecticut. Search for your local agent.
Protect your home and car
Nationwide offers a full range of insurance and financial products in Connecticut for your home, car, family and financial security. Simplify your life and save more by bundling your coverage. Check out our other policies for Connecticut residents.
Insurance terms, definition and explanations are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace of modify the definitions and information contained in individual insurance contracts, policies or declaration pages, which control coverage determinations. Such terms may vary by State, and exclusions may apply.
 Guarantee is limited to alternative parts identified on appraisal and used in repair. Also, work performed at an On Your Side Auto Repair Center includes workmanship guarantee. For informational purposes only. Program terms and conditions are controlling.
 Vanishing Deductible is an optional feature. Annual credits subject to eligibility requirements. Max credit: $500. Details and availability vary by state.
Best Connecticut Companies for Car Insurance
Despite the fact that Connecticut is one of the smaller states in the country, it still has an overwhelming number of car insurance providers.You have over 50 insurance companies to choose from, which can be overwhelming, especially for a first-time buyer.
If you looking for car insurance, there are a few things you can do to make the process a little easier.
Compare car insurance with our FREE comparison tool by entering your zip code in the box above now!
Make a List
To make the process easier for you, you need to find out which insurance companies stand out for their products and service. List these down and then work on choosing a provider from among them.
One way to go about finding the best car insurance companies in Connecticut is by asking family, friends and colleagues for references. Do not worry even if you have no references. Here are some of the best companies you can never go wrong with, in no particular order:
- Allstate – As its slogan goes, you are in good hands with Allstate Insurance Company. It is an old company that has built a reputation over the years and continues to provide reliable services not just in Connecticut but right across the United States.
- 21st Century – 21st Century is part of Farmers Insurance Group of Companies and provides a range of auto insurance packages to its Connecticut customers. It has been in operation since 1928 and is a company you can rely on for great services.
- AAA Car Insurance – American Automobile Association is a household name in the United States. Their friendly service and affordable auto insurance plans are worth considering.
- GEICO – GEICO is another strong brand providing reliable car insurance products to residents of Connecticut through its local offices and agent. It is a stable company and enjoys a sizeable client base right across the nation.
- Liberty Mutual Car Insurance – Another strong brand serving Americans since 1912, Liberty Mutual provides Connecticut residents with an array of car insurance policies that are relevant and affordable. If you value stability, Liberty Mutual provides that. It is the reason it earned a place on the Forbes Fortune 500 list.
- Nationwide – Nationwide Car Insurance has a range of car insurance policies, enjoyed by millions of customers across the state. Their Connecticut services are just as good, as the company’s dedication and commitment to service is maintained across all its branches. It has been in operation for more than 80 years now.
- State Farm – State Farm has more than 75 million customers for all its cumulative insurance products. It is a stable company with a diverse range of products to choose from.
- The Hartford Car Insurance Company – Founded in 1810, The Hartford Car Insurance Company is the oldest auto insurance company in the country. Over the years, it has grown to become the largest. Their car insurance policies are quite popular. Check out their car insurance policies for Connecticut to find out if they are the kind of thing you are looking for.
- Progressive Car Insurance – Progressive was founded in 1937 and has grown to become a leading car insurance provider in the country. It extends its services to Connecticut and enjoys a good customer base.
- QBE Car Insurance – QBE is an Australian company established in 1886. It recently introduced services to the United States market and has proven to be a worthy competitor, going by the good response they are enjoying. They have a branch in Connecticut.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Become Well Known
In addition to the 10 insurance companies list above, there are other insurance companies to choose from. Being a popular insurance company does not always equate to quality customer service.
It is not uncommon to come across bitter customers threatening to sue large, well-known car insurance companies because of loss occasioned by poor service or breach of contract. The only way to sieve the bad from the best is by comparing quotes.
It is not uncommon to come across bitter customers threatening to sue large, well-known car insurance companies because of loss occasioned by poor service or breach of contract.
Car insurance comparison has been made easy with the advent of car insurance quotes comparison services. Our comparison tool in quotes comparison.
We take the hard work out of finding quotes and make it so much easier for the customer to obtain multiple car insurance quotes with one request, and even better, display them in an easy-to-compare format.
What to Look For
When using our quotes comparison service, you will be essentially looking at some specific aspects of the car insurance policy. The most important of things to look for are the cost of the policy, premium amounts, the exact amount of coverage, and the company’s overall quality rating.
All these are crucial areas that the best car insurance companies pay special attention to. Although a company may have excellent car insurance policies at the right price, their customer service may be the worst in the industry.
In this case, you will have a good policy but no one to come to your rescue when you need them because they are simply unreachable.
Comparing Car Insurance Services
Car insurance comparison helps you avoid such sticky situations. One of the advantages of using a comparison service is that everything is done on the spot.
Additionally, you can access many other services from the same web page. There are resource pages with links to financial rating records, Department of Insurance registration and complaints page and many other related services that you may require. You will be safe dealing with companies with A – B+ ratings.
Enter your zip code below into the FREE comparison tool below now!